When it concerns the realm of sports, few activities test your physical and mental skills quite like tennis.
Unfortunately, if you have played the game for a long time, you’re most likely accustomed to “tennis elbow”, an injury to the tendon on the outside of the elbow that causes chronic pain. Also referred to as “radial nerve palsy”, tennis elbow is a kind of tendinosis that usually happens through overuse of your wrist and forearm muscles.
If you’ve ever suffered from tennis elbow, you understand how agonizing and frustrating it may be. Usually, this common injury among tennis players is not really considered very seriously until it starts to disrupt your day-to-day activities and individual routine. It can even pressure you to stop several of your best-loved activities if left untreated. Having said that, recognizing the symptoms right away is instrumental in facilitating a speedy healing process with little to no irreversible damage.
Fortunately, there’s a simple remedy to this issue: Shockwave treatment for tennis elbow. Not only is this therapy fast and successful, it likewise doesn’t require invasive surgery or substantial healing time. If you suffer from tennis elbow and want a way to get back on the court again swiftly, keep reading to learn everything you need to know concerning shockwave therapy for tennis elbow.
What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave treatment is a form of treatment for tennis elbow, persistent tendon injuries, and a wide range of other muscle or joint injuries. Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment that is employed to treat tennis elbow through making use of high-intensity sound waves, which in turn are transformed into little pressure waves that penetrate into the tissues. These sound waves make very small rips in the tendon around the elbow, which triggers fresh collagen to grow and repair the tendon, resulting in decreased pain and increased flexibility.
How Exactly Does Shock Wave Treatment Work?
As we’ve noted above, shockwave therapy utilizes high-intensity energy sound waves to enter the body’s soft tissues. The energy waves utilized in shockwave therapy are very comparable to those utilized in the course of an ultrasound scan. The big difference when comparing the two is that ultrasound waves have a significantly longer wavelength than the shockwave treatment pulsed wave. Shockwave treatment high-energy sound waves are significantly shorter and higher in frequency, indicating they can penetrate much deeper into the muscle.
The moment these sound waves have penetrated, they create tiny tears in the tissue or tendon near the elbow, which triggers brand new collagen to develop and repair the tendon, resulting in decreased discomfort and increased range of motion. The treatment is applied via a wand-like tool that restricts the shockwave therapy to solely the area impaired by tennis elbow.
The Beneficial Effects of Shockwave Therapy for Tennis Elbow
Shockwave treatment for tennis elbow provides lots of advantages compared to other therapy treatments, including:
- Successful Treatment: Shockwave treatment is a proven, beneficial treatment for tennis elbow. Recovery percentages following a couple of sessions of shockwave therapy exceed over 95%.
- No Surgery Involved: Many people are reluctant to try any sort of therapy for tennis elbow that necessitates surgical treatment, which can trigger a hold-up of treatment. Thankfully, shockwave therapy for tennis elbow is an alternative to surgery; instead, it’s an entirely non-surgical treatment.
- No Significant Negative Side Effects: Shockwave treatment for tennis elbow has extremely few negative effects and can be utilized as a therapy for a wide range of disorders, including tennis elbow. The only reported side effects of shockwave therapy are a mild feeling of discomfort and swelling or inflammation at the point of treatment.
- Short Treatment Period: Shockwave therapy for tennis elbow is a fast-acting procedure that can be delivered over a number of one-hour sessions. This short treatment time helps make sure your tennis elbow doesn’t continue any longer than definitely necessary. And most treatments only last for 6-8 therapy sessions.
How Much Does Shock Wave Treatment Cost?
Shockwave treatment for tennis elbow does come at a price, and that cost may vary from $five hundred to one thousand dollars per session. The typical fee per appointment is around $700. This cost is just an estimate, as shockwave therapy costs vary depending upon the kind of care center you go to and your insurance coverage.
Unlike other tennis elbow therapies, such as braces, injections, and rehab workouts, shockwave treatment does not always necessitate out-of-pocket expenses. If you have medical insurance coverage, you may visit your healthcare professional to see if they cover tennis elbow therapies, including shockwave therapy.
If you do not have medical insurance, you can still visit a shockwave treatment facility to receive treatment. The cost of the treatment will vary depending upon the clinic you visit. You can additionally ask about possible payment plans or financial aid programs offered by the provider to help make the treatment more budget friendly.
How to Pick an Experienced Shockwave Therapy Professional?
Much like any other health-related service, it’s important to decide on a qualified Shockwave treatment service provider. Prior to making a a visit with a specific physiotherapy centre, make certain it is registered and use these criteria when choosing a shockwave treatment service provider:
- Previous Experience: The most reliable method to determine a shockwave therapy professional’s previous experience is by asking about the experience of the professionals who will be treating you. You can also want to check online to discover if any of the professionals have been recommended by other patients.
- Experience With Tennis Elbow: The best shockwave therapy service providers have previous experience dealing with tennis elbow and other kinds of tendinitis and accidental injuries.
- Other Expertise: Be sure the facility you select delivers more than just shockwave therapy. Some centers also offer physical therapy and other treatments that may help your tennis elbow recover quicker.
Summary: Is Shockwave Therapy Right For You?
If you’re suffering from tennis elbow and are looking for a way to relieve the pain quickly and with no surgery, shockwave therapy may be the right choice for you. Get in touch with your local area physiotherapy clinic to get more details about shockwave treatment for tennis elbow and to book a visit.
Call our experienced, knowledgeable team at Pure Life Physiotherapy today and we can schedule easing your tennis elbow pain. Now scheduling new clients!